Pages

Wednesday 12 October 2011

My bags are packed and I'm ready to jet

As the song by Joni Mitchell goes "my bags are packed and I'm ready to go" but I have to wait a few more days until I receive my eticket and visa which are sent via email. After a lot of waiting We finally heard from the Abu Dhabi Education Council and they informed us that we the October 2011 LT's will be flying out very soon (next week)and that we should be prepared because we might receive very short notice before departure! I have to admit that I am a bit obsessed with Facebook because this is where one can find everything you could possibly need to know about teaching and living in Abu Dhabi and then some! I've read the good, the bad, and the ugly and am realizing you must have an open mind and be prepared to embrace an adapt to a new way of life! Bring it on!

New lingo:
AD: Abu Dhabi which translates to "father of the gazelle"
UAE: United Arab Emirates
Dirham: UAE currency
ADEC: Abu dhabi education council (my employer)
LT: licensed Teacher
Saloon: Hair Salon
AD80: my October group there are 80 of us! (my claim to fame is I came up with the name)
Insha'Allah: God willing
Etihad: the official airline of the UAE
Carrefour: the place to shop for things you need like target and Walmart.
Cafe Automatic: apparently this is the place to get shawarma! Located in al Mariah mall.
shawarma: layered meat sliced off diagonally from a spit and then wrapped in a pita with garlic sauce, and hot pink pickled turnips. Truly amazing

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so exciting, Maila! I hope you have safe, smooth travels. :) Can't wait to read what happens. :D

    ReplyDelete