Pages

Monday 19 December 2011

view of the alps from the plane leaving Milan




black licorice and interesting statues!


prociutto I managed to smuggle back! ha ha. I think Sal and his dad were impressed but they don't pronouce the 'o' in the word. Learned something new:)

Best cannoli I ever had....yum


Cappuccino's with new friend Rafel in Milan station Centrale:)
While I was in Milan I met another teacher from Siberia and we talked about the importance of enjoying life. Ever since I began teaching in Abu Dhabi I have felt some strange guilt about enjoying life. I can't understand completely why I feel this way? I hesitate to post much on Facebook because I feel guilty about what others may think. Will they think I'm selfish for leaving my life in NJ behind? Do they think I'm going through some life crisis? Do they cringe when I write about the fun I am having. Well now it hit me....I don't freaking care what others think!!! For a long time I felt unhappy and now I feel like I'm finally learning how to enjoy life again. There is a phrase that my new friend taught me that they say in Spanish but at the risk of butchering the beautiful Spanish language I won't type it here. All I know is that we need to focus less on working ourselves to death and dwelling over petty crap and more on laughing, loving, eating, and enjoying life. It sounds so simple but yet it isn't because we so easily let ourselves get bogged down by the pressures of the world that we put on ourselves!
I was going to devote this blog entry to the feast at the boys school but it doesn't seem so important at this moment. On my way back to the USA for the holidays I received some shocking news from my parents about a close family friend who sadly and suddenly passed away. Of course I can't go into the details of the events but I can mention some of the positives. This person and myself had an interesting relationship. I thank this special person for the following: teaching me to ride a bike for the first time, teaching me how to find my first four leaf clover, giving me advice when I didn't know I needed it, welcoming me with open arms into their home when I first started teaching, helping me find an land my first teaching job, and listening to my crazy adventures during my first few months of teaching. I will always remember you and never forget the impact you had on my life. May you rest in peace and may your life be celebrated and remembered. Life is so short and fleeting, I will try to live it as best I can enjoying every moment, trying to help others as you so generously did on this strange place called earth. I will try my best to not feel guilty for the purpose God has given me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've decided not to feel guilty for leaving your life in NJ behind....Run! Keep Running! There is so much more to life than the tri-state area (NY NJ CT) even with all the great things they have to offer. This Abu Dhabi life is taking some getting used to but it is really fun to use this HUGE apt and decorate, make things, have visitors....unlike the tiny, modest apts and rooms I've had in the past. Yet, there are neighbors here living with only a bed and curtains in one room...Maila...you are LIVING! So glad you dashed out to the Dhafra Camel Festival...even if we only saw a dozen or so! And thanks for the Mushrif Mall area driver's lic. tip....got my license finally! Peace and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post, Maila, you have put into words what so many of us feel. One phrase that runs through my mind is from the film, "Life is Beautiful" I am badly massacring this is "la vie sa bella" because darn it, life IS beautiful. We have a right to our happiness and a right to pursue our happy places in life. After meeting you with Sarah at St. Andrews, I'm glad you are finding yourself and finding your niche. I love your pictures and your spirit.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ever apologize for being happy, Maila. There is enough misery in the world already, so share the happy times. :)

    I'm sorry for your loss too. It sounds like the person was very loved.

    ReplyDelete