Pages

Sunday 29 January 2012

I am humbled

I am humbled. Teachers love to complain, that's just how it is but we really should walk in another person's shoes for a day and then maybe just maybe we would shut our traps up once in a while.
 In AD, we usually don't stay late after school unless there is PD or a staff meeting. Today I decided to stay late to organize some files and put up my bulletin board. I was kind of tired after a very busy day, but stuff needed to get done. When I asked my grade head how late I could stay, he explained that I could stay as late as I wanted because the  non teaching staff lived at school. I think my mouth fell open at that point. I was and still am in shock that some staff LIVE at school. 
 We have an amazing hardworking staff that cleans and keeps the school running in addition to a few tea and coffee guys who basically are like the secretaries/administrative assistants at school. They should be called the superheroes because that is what they really are. I have really enjoyed getting to know one in particular who has a heart if gold. Every day when I arrive, I make sure to say good morning to him and he always has a smile on his face. He is from India. He is usually busy making tea when I arrive so I don't linger very long to talk, as I know he has many tasks to do. He also makes the photocopies and we have had many interesting conversations since I spend a lot of time making copies in the copy room. Yes he has a name but I don't feel comfortable posting everyone's names online so we'll just call him Superman. 
Today he became more than just superman, he became my friend. As I walked back up to my classroom after bus duty, I bumped into him and said that I was staying late. His eyes popped wide open and he asked me if I wanted tea or coffee. It is very rude to decline so I said coffee. I really wasn't looking forward to the strong Arabic coffee, but to my surprise he brought this awesome mocha coffee and we sat down in the classroom to sip the coffee. As we sipped, I explained why I was staying late and he kindly offered to help me. I tried to insist that I was fine but after awhile I gave in and he helped me put up my bulletin board. I was truly thankful. Something I am learning to do, is accept help when it is offered (definitely not something that comes naturally to me).
As I was leaving, I ended up giving him a lift to the ATM because he was getting paid that day and had lost his ATM card. Sadly the superheroes at our school only make 500 Dhs a month. When converted to US dollars, that is a little under 150$. All in all, I admire their strength and let me just say I have never seen them take a sick day. I guess Superman was very thankful because his cousin made me a strawberry smoothie from his restaurant Abu Shaiboob (yes that's it's real name). 

That smoothie sure made my day; so did the coffee and the friendship.

Interesting moments at school today  Sunday January 29th:

1. While playing Dr.Jean's 'rules rap' the kids started to bust some rap/ gangster style moves and dance. It was pretty hilarious to see these 7 year old boys dancing in their kandoras. They know how to get down!!!!!

2. I got whipped with a hutra while breaking up the worst fight ever. Luckily the boys shook hands in the end. Truce I guess?

3. Best morning class ever led to the worst afternoon class of all time.

4. I still want to go back to work tomorrow:)

Interesting moments from Thursday Jan. 26th
1. During the second year of teaching one of my students asked if I slept on my desk....oh my. This year one of my students told me I looked tired and asked me if I slept on the rug in our classroom!

2. A student decided to draw a goatee and mustache on the boy sitting next to him with marker. Long story short, the principal visited our class.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your perspective of life over there, Maila. It all seems pretty awesome. I'm glad you feel supported. :)

    ReplyDelete